Our company’s facilities are located in the Municipality of Volvi, in the eastern part of the Prefecture of Thessaloniki, in an area with great geographical and historical interest.
The Municipality was named after Lake Volvi, which dominates its center. It is the second-largest natural lake in Greece. In Greek Mythology, Volvi was an exceptionally beautiful nymph, daughter of Oceanus and Tithia, who lived in the lake’s waters and was its protector. According to Athineos, Volvi was the mother of Olynthos, whom she bore with Hercules. The lake, which is mentioned by Strabo (Ancient Greek historian, geographer and philosopher), was named after this nymph.
The region’s history dates back to ancient times. Archaeological excavations have revealed traces of continuous habitation since the Neolithic age.
Around the lake there are several monuments, such as:
- Nymphopetres [Nymph-stones], in the Community of the same name, are a grouping of rocks, the product of intense geological phenomena in the area. The name of the rock formations comes from an ancient legend, according to which these rocks were men, who looked upon the nymphs in Lake Volvi as they bathed; the nymphs cursed them and the men turned to stone.
- The Castle of Redina, in the Community of Ano Stavros, was a Byzantine fortress that protected the Redina straits in the era of Emperor Justinian; there are traces of continuous habitation up to the era of the Ottoman conquest.
- The Drakotrypa [Dragon-hole] Cave at Vrasna is a small cave consisting of three connected chambers.
- The Saint George Monastery is located on the slopes of the Kerdyllia Mountains, near the town of Asprovalta.
- In Apollonia there is a complex of various monuments from different eras. A huge, centuries-old plane tree that was declared a natural monument in 1985, throws its shade over the Step of Apostle Paul, the place where, according to tradition, the Apostle of the Nations ministered as he passed through Apollonia in 50 A.D.
- The Ottoman Baths of Nea Apollonia. An octagonal Ottoman baths structure of exceptional craftsmanship; it is considered likely that it was erected by the great Vizier Sokolli Muhammad Pasha, who also built the caravanserai, mosque and baths in the nearby Pazaria (present-day Apollonia), between 1566 and 1574.